Homemade jam jelly without sugar, No Sugar Added Jam Jelly, No Sugar Added PBJs, No Sugar Added Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches, Pure Austin No Sugar Challenge Approved, Trader Joe's Extra Sweet Strawberries produce section
There is an easy way to get your PB&J on — even during a 21-day NO-SUGAR-CHALLENGE.
First, the bread part is a simple as picking up a no-sugar-added brand like Ezekiel’s sprouted offering.
The peanut butter part is simply grinding fresh roasted peanuts (avail. in Whole Foods’ bulk section.)
The no-sugar-added jelly/jam from a jar — I would go as far to say — is impossible, though. In fact, the definition of jelly/jam is fruit mixed with sugar — and pectin.
But…to get something like a jelly/jam one can look to a compote-like recipe that only takes a few minutes — simply breaking down the sweetest berries in a sauce pan — and using lemon to punch it up and de-glaze. (Of course, sans sugar.)
Here’s what you’ll need to get your no-sugar-added ‘JAM’ on:
– Ezekiel brand sprouted bread (or any other brand with no-sugar-added)
– Freshly ground peanut butter (Whole Foods offers organic peanuts in their bulk section.)
– 1 lb sweet berries (I used a lb of the ‘Extra Sweet’ strawberries from Trader Joe’s, avail. in their produce section.)
– 1 lemon
– Sauce pan and something to mash berries
(I used a potato masher, but you could get by with a fork.)
– Wash berries and remove green tops. Slice lemon in quarters.
– Place a sauce pan on cooktop and squeeze in one lemon quarter. Heat pan on medium-low heat. And quickly drop in berries.
– Stir constantly until berries soften. (This step requires a little patience, and may take up to four or five minutes, depending on the strength of your burners.)
(Add a dash of water if needed — to keep the bottom of the pan from burning. Or add some lemon to further de-glaze.)
NOTE: The sweeter your berries, the less lemon you need. (I used a half of a pretty large lemon and my ‘JAM’ has quite a zip.)
– When berries seem soft to touch, use a potato masher (or fork) to break them down further. (Make sure to keep on stirring.)
– When the ‘jam’ consistency is reached, turn off the burner and let the ‘JAM’ settle and gel.
– Assemble bread, fresh roasted peanut butter and ‘no-sugar-added’ ‘JAM’ for no-sugar-added PBJs — Voila!